Pointing your google domain to your herokuapp
I spent more time than I should have trying to figure out how to link my google domain to my herokuapp. Google's got a tutorial, but in my opinion, it's not as straightforward as it could be. Anyways, here's to saving you some headache.
Here's how I did it
- Assuming you just purchased your google domain. Find the DNS settings on your google domain dashboard.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will find custom resource records. Heroku uses a CNAME record. Set it like the example below, just modify your herokuapp url.
- Next, you'll need to let your google domain know that your site is actually yourwebsite.herokuapp.com. To do this, set the synthetic records like the example below and add your google domain.
- Almost finished. On your herokuapp, go to the settings and configure your new domain.
- Make sure you add "www"
- That should do it! After about a minute of refreshing, my google domain was paired with my herokuapp.