Pointing your google domain to your herokuapp
I spent more time than I should have trying to figure out how to link my google domain to my herokuapp. Google's got a tutorial, but in my opinion, it's not as straightforward as it could be. Anyways, here's to saving you some headache.
Here's how I did it
- Assuming you just purchased your google domain. Find the DNS settings on your google domain dashboard.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will find custom resource records. Heroku uses a CNAME record. Set it like the example below, just modify your herokuapp url.
- Next, you'll need to let your google domain know that your site is actually yourwebsite.herokuapp.com. To do this, set the synthetic records like the example below and add your google domain.
- Almost finished. On your herokuapp, go to the settings and configure your new domain.
- Make sure you add "www"
- That should do it! After about a minute of refreshing, my google domain was paired with my herokuapp.
Thanks for reading. Have an opinion to share? Feel free to contact me if you need to get in touch, or would like share your after thoughts.
⟵ Back to articles